Thursday, August 15, 2013

Things I Love

People often ask each other what they like, what is important to them, or what they like to do, so I’ll tell you upfront that I enjoy writing.  It’s kind of neat for me to put my thoughts down on paper or should I say into the computer.  Then to display them on my blog (http://whereheisfirst.blogspot.com/) and watch and wait to see who reads them, and if they have any comments, is always a joy.  I am always amazed how God can take some small thought and encourage or challenge someone to grow in their faith in Him.  And I give Him all the credit, if any is due, as I couldn’t write anything if He had not given me the grace to share my thoughts.  With that in mind I want to share the first of several things that I love.
I love people who are excited about life and what God is doing around them.  They may not be the bubbly, overflowing, incessantly speaking folks who are always talking about how good God is and what Jesus is doing in their lives.  They may just be the ones who have that joyous, radiant smile that brightens the whole room when they enter.  They love people because Christ has put His love in their hearts (Romans 5:5).  Their whole countenance suggests that they would like to be your friend.  Every church has them because God knows we need them around us to lift us up when things are not going well.  When I come into our church on Sunday mornings, or for any other service, I usually try to greet a few of them first because I know that if I’m not in the right frame of mind they will help me to get there quick!  Gotta love the Debbie Downers and the Frustrated Freds, but they can sure drain your joy.  I just love the Barnabas Christians, not that I don’t love the others, but those ‘Sons of Consolation’ sure know how to pick up your spirits!
Eleanor H. Porter, in her story of Pollyanna said this, “People radiate what is in their minds and in their hearts.”  When church members have the Lord in their hearts and are filled with His love and joy it just comes out!  And I’ll tell you, it’s hard to be all down and out when their joy is just radiating from their very being.  Being a ‘Pollyanna’ is not a bad thing or something to ridicule.  In fact, we need more Pollyannas in our world today.  Life is too tough to live it without any joy.
So let me conclude.  Most Barnabas Christians (encouragers), don’t realize that they are.  They are just living life and enjoying God and His people so don’t forget to thank them and encourage them because they need to be uplifted too.  And maybe, all of us need to stop and ‘smell the roses’ because as someone said once, “I’m too blessed to be distressed”.  ‘Count your blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise what the Lord has done’, as the old songs says.  Don’t forget to thank those who the Lord has put into our lives to brighten our days and most of all to thank Him who created us all.

I love people who have a smile on their face and the Joy of the Lord in their hearts, don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment